Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Nice Pair


The ocher one took seven years. I sure learned a lot about Jackson Pollock while doing that one. I could have called it "Another Punk Throws Paint" because it's pretty common a thing to do among beginners. (Do you throw paint? I throw paint! Don't tell!) I never could figure out a good name for it. I tried to call it "The Gnostic Revelations of Jack Black" (Old #7, of course) but the actor was just becoming well known about a week after I finished. What the heck. I hereby rename it "Old #7."


The other one, Corridor Head, I started at the same time and finished in about 2 months.
I mixed Varathane Diamond floor finish (extremely tough, completely clear, never yellows) in with my acrylic paints as I painted to give the lustrous translucence of oils. It's similar to generic water-based acrylic gloss medium sold in stores, but cheaper by the gallon. I'm such a chemist. I balled up the photography, too. I ought to re-shoot with my tripod, like I knew I should in the first place.
From the early to mid '90s. Each about 2' x 3½'

Yes, they ARE for sale. Glad you asked!

2 comments:

dmd said...

Really like these paintings - are you still painting?

Jumper said...

I haven't painted much in the last few years, dmd. The photoshop has soaked up a lot of creative urges, as has writing. Thanks for the thumbs up, tho.