Saturday, October 20, 2007

A Year Without Cheese


In August of 2007, I decided to go a year without cheese. I had just gotten my cholesterol report back from the doctor; and I'm overweight by some 20 lbs.


In the early '80s or '90s I read about an actress who lost weight by a simple "no cheese" diet. Uncomplicated, and not excessively sacrificial or forbidding. Simple. Merely not eating cheese.


After one year of that, and making no other lifestyle changes, I had dropped 10 pounds. Now I'm doing it again. This time I'm experiencing even greater social pressure to eat cheese. People overreact; waitstaff raise their eyebrows.


Then, I was not a fanatic. I recall two or three pizzas I allowed myself during that year. Maybe one or two other violations such as a broccoli casserole serving at Thanksgiving. But I quit buying the stuff and pretty much quit it for the year.


I drink skim milk, eat yogurt, cook with butter. I don't eat a lot of sour cream, but it's allowed. Just cheese.


I ate less fast food in those days, cheese experiment or not. Nowadays, I eat out a bit more. It has become a challenge to go cheeseless, but I have. It's interesting how much easier it is to judge the quality of the burger, without the cheese. I am becoming a fan of the slaw-and chili burger.


Just like last time, I allow myself a couple of exceptions occasionally. I had tacos with cheese for my birthday, and have had one frozen pizza since August. Next pizza will be pepperoni and mushroom and olive, no cheese. I eat a lot of tacos and other Mexican food, and order them all without cheese. A lunch wagon pulled up where I work recently and I asked the lady what she had without cheese. With a worried look, she rifled through her stash of lunch and said, "They all have cheese!" She talked me into getting a taco and simply removing the cheese, which I did. She gave me a price break!


I've been all over the internet reading various others' tales of no cheese. Almost every one of them expresses big regrets: we love the stuff. Vegans, vegetarians, dieters and cholesterol-lowerers, lactose intolerent, candida and yeast sufferers, and low-thyroid people. They are mostly expressing a melancholy sadness relating to this sacrifice. It seems to be difficult, a "last thing on the list" that they were able to quit; the thing they love the most.



A humorous take on the "Cheesocracy."
I've lost some weight already, but have not been on scales yet. More on this when I find some and weigh myself.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Good. I need to try that!

TBG said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
yellojkt said...

I wen one Lent without cheese. Longest 40 days of my life. I too could use to lose 20 pounds or more, but it's the quality of life, not just the quantity.

Anonymous said...

It's too good to wait more than a year. Jumper

Jumper said...

I have been violating this far too much. I was in a Costco and got a huge pan of chicken enchiladas to take home for dinner. The Christmas visit to the mountains, I was offered a breakfast dish with eggs, ham, and about 50% cheese. I indulged. I am not BUYING cheese to cook with at home. It just is included with various offers I can't refuse! However, the Year of Cheese Refusal will continue, even in spite of the occasional failure. signed, Jumper

Jumper said...

Not only that, but the broccoli and cheese ring was so good I made another one once home, and had it for several meals.

Figured out the Mexican restaurants, though. Fajita plate. No cheese on fajitas.

Jumper said...

I have no excuses. Buying provolone for turkey sandwiches, and using the rest for au gratin potatoes with further purchased cheddar. I'm not into guilt, especially about a self-imposed experiment, but the difficulty level is higher than I expected. Plus at least two taco bell pigouts. I have well-programmed comfort-food paradigms difficult to dislodge. Plus, Stouffers lasagna 3 times. Whew. Bless me father... and I'm not even Catholic...

Anonymous said...

i just came across your blog because i myself have lost weight from just omitting cheese from my diet. i still ate dairy, just no cheese.i did it in the past and lost around 10 pounds, and am currently doing it again. i have always been surprised at how rarely people talk about how not eating cheese can help you drop the pounds. and i agree, you realize that there are great foods out there that are just fine without cheese!

Blogger said...

New Diet Taps into Innovative Plan to Help Dieters Get Rid Of 20 Pounds in Only 21 Days!