Saturday, October 24, 2009

Squash or Pumpkin - Squmpkin?

An orange Hubbard. About 6" across, 7" from stem to stern.

Squmpkin: I wasn't the first to think of this word. It yielded up on Google several interesting things: A look inside a ripe Blue Hubbard squash, an obituary of a breeder, and a picture of the biggest pumpkin I have ever seen. Also some nice hybrids seen in another plant breeder's video. I like his attitude.

I plan on roasting this particular calabash like any winter squash, and have it with maybe a pat of butter. I want to taste it pretty much plain, to analyze the flavor.

UPDATE: On the left, just after I cut it. (I saved the seeds, incidentally, removed and washed the pulp off, and toasted / roasted them in the toaster oven with butter and salt. As always the husk is pure roughage but the seed inside is tasty and nutritious.) On the right, after I cooked it in foil for about 35 minutes in a 350ยบ F. oven.

This tastes good. It rivals a very good butternut squash and was better, and oranger, than the average butternut squash that is usually available lately. More beta carotene never hurt. I had half of it with a pat of butter; no salt. (I'm usually a salt-user.) This squmpkin would make a very good pie. Thumbs up!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should take it to the next level and make a pie. Report back! ;)

Jumper said...

Just as a mental exercise I am trying to think of the most UNSUITABLE squash to Make pie. I think spaghetti squash and zucchini top the list but I don't know.

Anonymous said...

This is a really old blog but I stumbled on it today trying to figure out a squash I have. Anyway wanted to say that zucchini pie is actually not bad. It's very similar to pecan pie filling and if you fill it up with pecans it's even better.

Jumper said...

It's perfect for pies!
-- Jumper